Good Monday morning! Before I do a(nother) catch up post on my life, I absolutely have to share this recipe for some amazing raw energy bars that I made at my friend, Alex’s house the other day. They were not only consumed as my post-dinner snack, but also as part of my breakfast and lunch the following day. And no, there is no such thing as a PB/Banana overload. Ever.
Somehow, we were able to transform this peanut buttery mess…
…into delicious energy squares!
In addition to eating them as a normal snack (or meal, as I seem to have already done), I could definitely see myself bringing one (or more) of these bars in my back pocket during a long bike ride, or throwing them in my squash backpack to eat after a training session.
So, if you are like me and gravitate towards whole-food energy bars, and any sort of combo of peanut butter/banana/chocolate, I highly recommend you whip out a food processor and make these lil nuggets!
Raw Peanut Butter Banana Date Bars
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: none
Yield: ~ 32 squares
- ~10 medjool dates, roughly chopped
- 1 cup salted crunchy peanut butter
- 1 banana
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal (I used Special K)
- 1/2 – 1 cup chocolate chips (depending on how much you like chocolate!)
- Combine dates, peanut butter, and banana in food processor, and mix until dates are virtually visually undetectable. Note: If your food processor is small or medium sized, you may want to either halve the recipe, or process the ingredients in two separate batches.
- Remove blended date/PB/banana paste from food processor and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add remainder of ingredients and mix in by hand to disperse evenly.
- Transfer entire mixture to a large pan, spread evenly, and flatten.
- Refrigerate for ~an hour, or until mixture has solidified before cutting into squares. Alternatively, if you are in a time crunch, try putting the bars in the freezer for ~30 minutes, and then cut into squares. Store in fridge.
Alright, it’s time for me to put the peanut butter jar away now (I may or may not have been eating PB out of the jar as I typed up this post), fold some laundry, apply to some more jobs, and get back to studying for NASM! (<- More to come on that soon!)
Have a great Monday!