Since I’ve been eating this every morning for about a week and a half now, I think it’s time I reveal my recipe for my latest breakfast craze, Protein oatmeal pudding.
The addition of the egg whites is what gives this dish its fluffy, light consistency. If the goopy-ness of regular oatmeal revolts you, you might want to give this one a shot, since it’s kind of like bread pudding!
One of the best parts of this oatmeal recipe is that it can be modified to suit different tastes. Although I’ve been enjoying a version I like to call “cookie dough” oatmeal, you could also try other alternatives, such as “double chocolate”, “chocolate peanut butter”, or “banana bread”(<– very similar to my Banana Bread Protein Oatmeal!)
Protein Oatmeal Pudding
- 1/3 cup dry rolled oats
- 1 serving protein powder (I’ve been using vanilla, but you could use any flavour)
- ~3 Tbsp egg whites (The more you use, the more pudding-like it will be)
- ~1/2 cup water (depending on how thick you like your oats)
- Optional but highly recommended: 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Possible toppings: banana slices, berries, nut butter, chocolate chips, nuts
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine oats, water, egg whites, protein powder, and cinnamon (if desired).
- Microwave on high for 1.5 minutes, and remove to stir. You should notice the mixture will start to puff up, like a soufflé, but the oats should still be apparent.
- After stirring, return bowl to microwave for 1 minute. Oats should puff up again.
- Remove from microwave and top with desired mix-ins. Wait a couple minutes for oats to cool, and enjoy!
Note: the second microwaving period is crucial for the “pudding” texture, since it causes the oats to seem to dissolve. If you don’t do the second microwaving, it will look like this:
This oatmeal has been the perfect pre-workout breakfast, since it doesn’t weigh me down, but satisfies me enough to fuel me through my workout. Winner winner!