Friends, I think I’ve done it.
I’ve created THE perfect pancake.
This picture doesn’t even do these pancakes justice.
What makes these pancakes so perfect? Let me list some of the reasons (in no particular order):
- They are perfectly dense (I like dense, non-fluffy, non-cake-like pancakes)
- They taste like banana bread
- They have a hint of coconut taste, thanks to the coconut flour
- They are perfectly sweet on their own without syrup, but not too sweet, thanks to the ripe bananas
- They are healthy! (Protein packed, no added sugar, no oil or butter)
- The banana and coconut flavours mix perfectly together
I feel as though I have plenty more amazing things to say about them, but I can’t really put it into words. So, I guess I’ll just have to give you the recipe, which I adapted from this one, and let you see for yourself.
Coconut Flour Banana Pancakes
Serves 2, or 1 very hungry person (ie. Me!!)
Prep time: 5 minutes. Cook Time: 5 minutes.
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 T pancake mix OR more 1T more coconut flour and 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 banana ripe and mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup Almond milk
- Butter or coconut oil to grease pan
- Optional/recommended, but I didn’t use because I didn’t have any: 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional add in’s: blueberries, chocolate chips, flax seeds, shredded coconut
- Beat together eggs in a bowl. Add in mashed banana and milk and mix until no clumps remain.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together, and if needed, add more almond milk to thin out to desired consistency. (A runnier batter will make thinner pancakes)
- Once mixed, gently add in optional mix-in’s.
- Pour batter onto hot pan on medium heat. Flip pancakes when bubbles start to form on top, and edges start to solidify.
- Cook until batter is no longer runny.
- Remove from heat and top with desired toppings. Eat and enjoy!
One of the most pleasing things about making these pancakes is that they didn’t fall apart at all, unlike a lot of other protein/flourless pancakes I’ve tried to make in the past. Sure, they (almost always) end up tasting fine, but you feel a lot more classy when your food actually looks as good as it tastes.
I am fairly confident I will end up making these again very soon, perhaps with chocolate chips next time! I also wouldn’t mind trying to incorporate protein powder, cottage cheese, or greek yogurt into the mix to increase the protein content, but I’m hesitant to do so because I loved this end result so much!
These pancakes would make the perfect post-workout meal, especially for a weekend brunch. So do yourself a favour, go get some coconut flour (I got mine at Trader Joe’s!), make these in about 7 minutes (5 mins for prep, 2 mins until you can eat the first batch), and be full and happy!
Ps. The pancake batter tastes like banana bread batter 😀