Friends, this morning something very sad happened.
I finished the peanut butter jar while making my Chocolate Cheesecake Protein pudding for breakfast. And we are now completely not only out of peanut butter, but nut butter in general! This does not go over well in our house.
Since I was all comfy in my PJ’s watching Wimbledon (Raonic vs Kyrgios!), I didn’t really feel like making a trip to the grocery store. I decided instead to make use of our food processor and the ingredients we had on hand in the house!
Lately, I’ve been enjoying dates and almonds together as a midmorning/afternoon snack. I usually follow a 4 almond : 1 date ratio, and used this as a rough guideline for my cashew date butter.
This recipe is so easy, and delicious! You only need two ingredients:
And don’t forget your food processor!
First, blend the cashews together by themselves in the food processor. Some of the butter will stick to the bottom, so you’ll need to scrape it off every 15 seconds or so. It’ll look like this:
- ground cashews (pieces of cashews)
- clumpy cashews
- CASHEW BUTTER!!!
The “clumpy cashew” stage seems to last for a while, and then boom! All of a sudden it turns into smooth, creamy, cashew butter.
Blend together dates and cashew butter until it looks like this:
This recipe takes maximum 10 minutes in total to make, which is probably less time than it takes you to drive to your closest grocery store!
This cashew date butter is so versatile. It can be used as a topping on crackers, in oatmeal, or even just by itself!
I also realized today that nut butter might be the adult version of Play-dough…
I also think that this butter would be great as a base or a “glue” for a homemade granola/energy bar. I’ll be sure to let you know what I come up with for that one 🙂
Cashew Date Butter
Ingredients and Materials:
- 12 Medjool dates, chopped (about 1/3 cup packed)
- 1 cup cashews, unsalted
- Food processor
- Optional: 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil (to thin out if desired)
- Blend cashews on high until paste starts to form.
- Stop food processor and power it off. Scrape off bottom with a fork or spoon.
- Resume blending, pausing every 15 seconds or so to scrape the bottom. Repeat 4 or so times.
- Continue #3 until smooth cashew butter starts to form.
- Stop food processor and add dates.
- Blend dates and cashew butter together, pausing occasionally to scrape bottom and sides.
- Optional step: add coconut oil to thin out mixture to desired consistency.
I have been snacking on this by itself non-stop this morning. Too good!